Many people are passionate about singing and music, but they never get the chance to develop their singing skills to their full potential due to lack of training. But in this digital era, you have the advantage of the ease of access and can easily learn singing online if you are passionate about it and dedicated to it.
You may be wondering- how to learn singing online? I will list the steps to learn singing at home and tell you how you can use online search engines to train your voice to sound like a professional!
The Introductory Phase
This is the initial phase and would consist of basic training and moderation to prepare you for the stricter phase later on. This phase has the following steps:
- Breathing exercises: These help you in attaining better control of your pitch and your duration of singing. In a way, it would build your stamina by a great deal. It would help if you practiced controlling your throat opening. You should attempt the following breathing exercises before you warm-up to sing:
- You need to begin by taking in a couple of deep breaths in such a way that you feel the air is weighty as you breathe in.
- Allow the inhaled breath to fall below your lower stomach area into your diaphragm. Exhale and continue by repeating the process several times.
- Warming up: Your vocal cords require a good deal of stretching before you can attempt to sing. This improves the range of your voice. You should try to hum or sing up as high as you can go with ease. And then down as low as you can go. When you attempt to go higher, your vocal cords stretch and expand and when you go lower, your vocal cords contract. With this, you will open up your vocal cords and prepare them to sing.
- Discover your range: To do this hum down and drop your voice as low as it can go. The lowest note you can hum that sounds sufficiently clear is the lower bound. Then, hum up as high as you can go. The highest note that you can hold for 3 seconds is the upper bound of your vocal range. You should try out several classical musical scales, and this is where an online search will be of immense help.
- Sing along: Now you should attempt to sing along to your favorite song with a voice recorder in the vicinity. Attempt to be clear in your speech and try to articulate all your words clearly. This articulation part requires a great deal of practice. It would be best if you also were mindful of your breathing to follow the rhythm of the song.
- Drink a lot of water. Lukewarm water is known to loosen your vocal cords, allowing you to sing in your optimal range.
- Practise, practise, practise!! You will need to practice these five steps daily to improve the pitch and range of your voice.
The Development Phase:
- Start using your nose while singing. A bit of nasality in the voice is an indicator of good singing. But it is a problem if you sound nasal to others and to avoid that your throat needs to be open.
- Rounding your voice: A resonant and rounded sound is formed by opening the throat and by keeping the nasality in check. This is called covering your voice. But you must proceed with a fair bit of caution because if you overdo this, your voice sounds soft.
- Singing Diction is important: Pay attention to your vowels when singing. You should try to keep your neck upright but relaxed and try keeping the back of your mouth open when you are singing your vowels.
- Work on the high notes: Now, you should start practicing the high notes. You would most likely be knowing your range by now if you have been practicing daily and so you would also be knowing your high note. You need to practice hitting those high notes to achieve perfection.
- Regular Practice: Don’t stop practicing your breathing exercises as they help maintain the stamina you have built and helps immensely in vocal flexibility.
The Concluding Phase
This phase is all about getting the confidence to perform in front of an audience. For this, you need to keep practicing daily and put in the hours to see results. Eventually, you will reach a stage when you are confident enough to perform in the open, and that is the perfect time to use this opportunity. Sign up for some competition by searching online or play at your college/ school/ workplace. It is important to be receptive to any feedback you may get.
So, there you have it- your step-by-step guide to learn how to learn singing at home. The major takeaway would be to put in efforts and practice regularly to see excellent results!
If you want to know more about these techniques and how you can hone your singing skills, please take a look at our singing courses here: https://musicpandit.com/courses?filter=vocals